Underneath it all, I am seven years old. Deep down, I am that buck-toothed little girl who dreams in pictures, clips snippets of words, puts them in a pretend pocket. I believe.
• SCBWI 2017 LA Mentorship Award
• SCBWI 2017 NY Portfolio Award, Honorable Mention
• SCBWI 2016 Bologna, Short List for Illustration
• SCBWI 2016 Wild, Wild Midwestern Conference, Second Place
• SCBWI 2014 NV Illustration Mentorship with David Diaz
• SCBWI 2010 NV Illustration Mentorship with Teri Sloat
• SCBWI 2007 MI Mentorship with Susan Kathleen Hartung
• SCBWI 2007 Don Freeman Grant, Runner Up
• SCBWI 2006 NY Winter Conference, Top 10 Illustration Showcase
• American Library Association Awards, Illustration and Design
• Highlights Writers Workshops
• Numerous Addy Awards - Illustration, Design, and Copywriting
• Hard knocks, School of Life
• BA in English, University of Michigan
• BA in Design, College for Creative Studies
• Breast Cancer Survivor
• Advertising Survivor
- Copywriter, Ross Roy, Inc., Organic
- Art Director, Young & Rubicam
- Intern, Campbell Ewald
I walk around with my head in the sky, my eyes on the ground. A sidewalk yields the most interesting swirls, cracks, and bits of rock. I photograph this world within a world. I get some funny looks, but that's normal for an artist. The odd bit or castaway trash is just as rich. I pick shiny words like a magpie. A fertile seed sprouts the idea for a collage, a story.
I love the differences in us all. I love the similarities, too. The world is an antique quilt, texture upon texture, layer upon layer. We criss-cross every which way, our stories and stitches overlapping. The most beautiful collage.